BENTON GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB
TO: MEMBERS AND GUESTS
FR: GREEN COMMITTEE AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS
DA: MAY 15, 2012
This year, our members and board approved a green renovation project aimed at reestablishing the original size of our greens and replacing our existing bent grass surface with an ultra-dwarf bermuda grass surface called “Miniverde”. We are well underway with this project, and on May 29, 2012, we will close our permanent greens indefinitely to begin the final phase of the renovation. We hope to reopen and unveil the new greens by August 1, 2012.
Although we will be closing our permanent greens on May 29, 2012, the golf course will remain open for play on temporary greens, except the days which Modern Turf will be planting the new greens (tentatively June 11 and June 12) when the entire course will be closed. To ensure we do not disrupt or damage the new greens, only authorized personnel will be allowed onto the permanent greens from May 29, 2012 until they are reopened. All items (golf balls, clubs, towels, etc.) finding their way onto the permanent greens while closed shall be deemed lost and may only be retrieved by authorized personnel. While we will not be responsible for these items, we will provide a lost and found service in the pro-shop where players can go to retrieve lost items that may have been found on the permanent greens during this time.
We are truly excited about this investment into our club’s future and cannot wait to showcase the final product!!!
For your information, below is our estimated timeline for this project, weather permitting:
· May 14: Crews sprayed to kill green collars (you should notice a change in collars by the end of the week). (Permanent greens open).
· May 21-May 25: Crews will apply fertilizer and respray to kill remaining grass on green collars. (Permanent greens open).
· May 28: Last day permanent greens will be open prior to green renovation project.
· May 29: Permanent greens will close indefinitely for green renovation. Course will remain open. Players must use temporary greens.
· May 29: Crews will spray to kill bent grass on permanent greens. (Permanent greens closed).
· May 30-June 1: Crews will clean green surface. (Permanent greens closed).
· June 6-June 8: Crews will topdress greens. (Permanent greens closed).
· June 11-June 12: Modern Turf will plant Miniverde sprigs. (Permanent greens closed).
· June 12-August 1: Crews will nurture the newly planted green surface until sprigs are fully grown (check our website, www.bentongolfandcountryclub.net for pictures documenting our progress) (Permanent greens closed).
· August 1: Anticipated reopening and unveiling of Miniverde greens!!!
For more information about Miniverde putting surfaces, visit their website at www.miniverde.com.